Friday, May 15, 2009

Personal Space

I am getting used to not having any. Something about how people use the space that is available though, bugs the shit out of me. People here tend to stand in clusters. This is contrary to back in the States where, given limited space, people will organize themselves in such a way that everyone is as far away from everyone else as is possible. It is as if the people all had a negative charge, like electrons, and were incapable of getting too close to anyone else unless the density dictated otherwise. Not so here. Instead it is if the center of any given space is higher than the edges and the people are small ball bearings. Everyone tends to gravitate towards the walls of the train cars, restaurants, coffeeshops, and such even if it means that you are standing on a stranger's toes.

Had I been wearing sandals this evening, I would surely have a cast on my foot. It's just the way things go.

No comments:

Post a Comment